Some Thoughts

Monday, March 28, 2011

On a dark rainy night..


As usual I started back from my mothers’ place so that I could reach home by evening. It was two days since I left home and had to stay as mother was very ill. I didn’t have the mind to leave her but the thought of my family made me rush back. My boys had to attend school and husband office. They were understanding and adjusting, but I couldn’t neglect them for too long.

My eyes filled when I thought of my plight. It was 3 hours journey by bus to mother’s place. Suddenly the bus had a jerk and came to a halt.. The driver announced that he will take only five minutes to repair it. After half an hour the bus started its journey. But bad things always come together..It started raining heavily and there was traffic jams, and the pathetic condition of the roads made things worse.

It was so dark outside and I looked at other passengers..I wished to see at least one familiar face among them. But there wasn’t any. All were cursing the weather and the heavy traffic. But none of them had any fear. I made plans of what to do when I got down at my place. There were no mobile phones in those days. I was young and I was not expected to travel alone at that time of night. I had to walk atleast 20 minutes to reach home. I planned to telephone my husband and wait inside some shop till he comes and picks me up.

When I reached the bus stop where I had to get down it was 9 O’clock, 3 hours later than expected. There was thunder and lightning with the heavy down pour. I had no umbrella. I was the only passenger to get down there..The conducter warned, “sister be careful.” To my utter dismay I found all the shops closed, there was power failure and the roads were flooding. I saw no human anywhere. I was trembling with fear, but decided to reach home somehow. I had no other option. The light from the passing vehicles helped me cross the road and enter the bylane to our house. Now I had to walk atleast 20 minutes. I started running. But my wet saree made my pace slower, I couldn’t walk.. ..

I fell on the road..The lightning was the only source of light..As I got up I saw a man following me .... That was the end..Pale with fear I knew I would die that night. As a last attempt, chanting prayers, pulling up my saree I started running. After a while I looked back and saw the man following.... I was horrified.
He could easily take my gold and kill me I feared.. I was still running, falling down, I knew I had no escape from this danger.. But that man was walking calmly behind me, keeping a distance. The nightmare ended when I somehow reached the gate, entered and looked back. The man smiled, waving to me he said, “Sister I just wanted to make sure you got home safe.” Then he turned back and disappeared in the dark..

I felt so ashamed of myself. Why did I think all bad things about that man who came to help me? Why are we so afraid of fellow human beings? There is still kindness and concern among humans.. The doubts and fear in us don’t allow us to trust strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment