Some Thoughts

Thursday, March 31, 2011

My mother….

My mother, Sumathy had a strong personality. She was the strongest person I ever met in life. Today, on her 7th death anniversary I remember her with much respect.
I wasn’t as strong as her in my childhood. So I couldn’t understand her. Now I know that she had to make herself strong to become successful as a wife and mother of five children.
My mother lost her father when she was just 3 years old. She had 3 sisters and 2 brothers and she was the only girl who went to college from that joint family. She was a student of C M S College Kottayam. Her uncle’s were not in favor of her getting college education, but it was her will power that made her do so.
She was religious with great knowledge on Hindu scriptures. She had a firm will by which she made us follow a Hindu way of living. We found it difficult to follow many of her beliefs as we felt they were just superstitions. But as we grew older we found a meaning and explanation for all the rituals. Still I follow them and am very grateful to her for teaching them.
I think my mother’s strong personality was established by beliefs and convictions. She was very confident in herself. Her determined and confident words made us obey her. I never saw her sad or disappointed. She could handle any situation as she wished. Even though I was afraid of my mother and her disciplinary actions, I think I too managed to get as strong as her.
When she was diagnosed with cancer in its last stage, she accepted the fact very calmly and spent the rest of the days in her usual jolly manner.


Bali Tharpanam at Thirunnavaya Temple


No comments:

Post a Comment