Some Thoughts

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ammai…..Oru Orma….



Today when she is waiting to be taken on her last journey I remembered those old days….

She was the Parvathi of that Parvathi Mandiram, my father’s home at Thalavadi..She was my father’s pet sister and everyone called her Parukkutti.. Panki, was elder to her and Appu my father was very fond of Parukkutti who was married to Sankarankutty ammavan and so she was my Ammayi.

I never saw such a brother sister bond as that of my father and Ammai.. All their life they consulted each other before taking any decision. Both were very fond of each other. Whatever be the occasion, Chettan’s word was the final for her. She knew her Chettan would never go wrong. Such was the trust she had on her brother..

I don’t know why we didn’t inherit such qualities from them.

Most of our school vacations were spent at Thalavady, though we were always on the move with father’s frequent transfers. Ammoomma, Appachi, Ammai and all children would be waiting for our arrival….A few chicken would see their last day when we arrive. Such a delicious chicken curry only they could make. Everything made in that kitchen tasted the best. I don’t think any of their children are such culinary experts…

Appachi and ammoomma left long back and my father and ammavan too left few years back. Ammai was very quiet and ever smiling….

The only complaint she ever said about her Chettan was that she wanted a locket for her chain which she wore on her wedding but he didn’t buy it for her….Saying that, she gave me a sweet toothless smile too.

The previous day of my father’s death, Ammai was sitting beside him for hours …though no words spoken they might have exchanged the tender affection they had for each other. Father waited for her to leave, to have his last breath……as if he couldn’t bear to see his little sister in tears.

Today at the age of 85, she had a peaceful death. Staying far from the place I couldn’t go to her and participate in the last rites. Still I touch her feet in respect…..

No comments:

Post a Comment