Some Thoughts

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Craving for a doll....


Tears were flowing like the monsoon rains. Her sobs had no sound. The rain water soaked her new Birthday dress. She didn’t listen to anyone..She would not get up from the steps or eat her food. All that she wanted was a Doll. Grandma was the only one who saw her tears. She asked everyone to get her a doll. But no one cared. Grandma never went out of the house, so she couldn’t go to shops. Grandma knew this was the only time she cried for something. But she was helpless. No-one would listen to her. The only thing she craved for as a child was a Doll. But she never got it.
Today standing amidst laxuries, sorting out the toys in my grandson’s room, I remembered that scene, 50 years back. My eyes searched for a doll. No, There isn’t any..Ha, boys don’t play with dolls. Soft toys in all animal shapes, remote controlled cars,trains and aeroplanes were there, but not a doll.
Even if I get one now, what difference it makes? I could very well buy any number of dolls during the past years. While travelling all over India, all sorts of dolls fascinated me. But I never bought one as I knew it would only bring tears to my eyes.
The disappointments of childhood are so deep-rooted that we can never come over that sorrow. When things are easily available it brings less happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment