Some Thoughts

Monday, July 4, 2011

Sree Padmanabha Swami




Sree Padmanabha swami has taken the headline news these days. I wonder what goes on in the minds of the people who are the daily worshippers of Padmanabha swami. Many of those faces are very familiar to me as I too was one among them for over an year. I’m sure the finding of the wealth would not have affected them a bit, but the peaceful atmosphere is disturbed, for sure. I wish it was not so…

I have visited most of the ancient and famous temples in South India, and have always felt that the peace and tranquility we get in this temple premises is seen nowhere else.

In my childhood when I visited the temple for the first time with my parents and Grandma, I was just amazed by the huge idol. Grandma asked me to look inside the dark sanctum sanctorum through the three doors. Though nothing was clearly seen, I got a fear, watching the unusually big idol of Padmanabha Swami. I came out clinging to my Grandma.

Just a step outside is Narasimhamoorthi, who is known for a fearsome face to children who have heard the story. Outside I walked counting the pillars and Grandma was telling stories about the temple.

Grandma said, there was a lot of treasure in gold and silver hidden under the pillars and pathways. Then there is a huge corridor underground which lead to many chambers and metal doors. Treasure is stored everywhere. If anyone tries to take all these wealth and open the last gate, the sea would enter through it and engulf the whole country. The last door leads to the sea she told. All these stories frightened me in those days.

Then after some 5 decades I got a chance to live in Padma Nagar, near to Padmanabha swami. For over an year I was among the daily worshippers of Padmanabha Swami. I would be there with my friend Sasikala every morning just before Maharaja’s visit.

In the first few days, recollecting old memories, my eyes searched for the doors to the hidden treasures in the temple. Then I forgot them just as any Panchatantra story or fairytale.

I found a lot of peace and tranquility in the temple. The calm, serene face of Sri Padmanabha Swami is adorable. I got a lot of attachment and devotion to Swami that I can see Him even with my closed eyes.

Now I’m amazed with the treasure hunt and findings from the temple that the media is publishing. I wish Grandma’s story don’t come true. Let the door that is yet to open, not lead to any disaster.

But isn’t there a grilled opening at the foot of Ananthasayanam, where we keep our ears to listen to the sound of sea waves? It is still there and all devotees know of it. Does that show there is a pathway that leads to the sea miles away? The floor of the highly built sanctum sanctorum is said to be wet always.

It will be difficult to find the secrets of this centuries old architectural marvel. But I’m sure, Padmanabha Swami is there to take care of everything ….in His Yoganidra….

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting...though I have visited the temple many times, I never heard all these stories. May be I missed a Grand mother like yours?! It was a good narration and the permission denied for opening the last vault, believe...! Hope Shree Padmanabha will save all of us from any consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment....A great lot of things today's generation think as superstitions are firm beliefs for us the elders. If we watch around, we can see many such things coming true.....

    ReplyDelete