Some Thoughts

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I remember that house, where I was born and spent my childhood. Though the main section is just a memory, other two sections of the Tharavadu is still maintained and renovated. Situated in the heart of Kottayam, named 'kizhakkedath' which means facing east. The house was home for 5 generations of people.
Two couples who migrated from Calicut during the attack of Tippu Sultan, found a home in that premises.
I belong to their fifth generation. I was born in that dark corner room of the main building, which was used as the family's labour room. Don't know how many infants were born there. But I remember my mother mentioning proudly that it was a lucky room for all women as there was not an infant death or deformed child born there. Eliamma was the all in all responsible for all safe births. She was a Christian midwife who came to help the lady in labour. Every child was touched by her as it came to the world, but ironically the family was so orthodox poor Eliamma was not allowed to enter any other room of the house.
This labour room on the western side was built higher than other rooms with an attached bathroom. The room was so dark with only an air hole on the top of the wall as ventilation. Before each delivery Ammoomma would disinfect the room with dettol and Paruamma would be helping her. My memories don't start with that room, but a large number of people gathered in the house. I was around 4 years old. Yes. I remember that day......

No comments:

Post a Comment